Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor

In Alabama can an HOA force me to join if it was not in

Customer Question

In Alabama can an HOA force me to join if it was not in existence when I bought my house?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

An HOA is a contractual relationship. Both sides have to agree. When you buy a house that's already in an HOA, that's one thing, because you agreed to it. But a person can't create an HOA around your property and force you to join. Just be aware that, if you choose not to join, you will not have access to any common areas. It's up to them to explain to owners the benefits of joining if they want your property to be part of the community.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any more questions about this?