Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I recently purchased a home granting the seller a 30 day

Customer Question

I recently purchased a home granting the seller a 30 day rent back. My question is ….am I legally entitled to have a set of keys to a home I technically own, but don't yet occupy?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

My question is ….am I legally entitled to have a set of keys to a home I technically own, but don't yet occupy?

.

Absolutely...you are the owner of the home and are in the dual position of being a landlord at this time. So in the same way that a landlord always has keys to enter in the event of an emergency or for normal inspection purposes, you are entitled to have a duplicate set of keys to the home or to have the locks changed and then provide the tenant with a copy of your keys.

.

One of the very first things you should do when purchasing a property is to change the locks as you have no idea who the former owner might have given a key to before you purchased the property.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks