Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.

How do get a lien resolved from a property when the lien was

Customer Question

How do get a lien resolved from a property when the lien was placed on the property 15 years ago and the company no longer exist?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If the company really has ceased to exist, then the best way may be to file a challenge to the lien either via a quiet title action, or a more specific lien-minded action. The point is to challenge the lien in any way, in Court. If the company really no longer exists and no other company has purchased its assets, then the company may be served by sending the citation and the complaint to the state in most cases. The state would not reply, and then the Plaintiff (i.e. you) may get a default. If so, then the Court would remove the lien in most instances.

Now, this is a very generic answer. It all depends on what state this is in, what the lien is for, etc. It also assumes that no other company or agent has been appointed or owns that company's interests.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!