LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.

Does a quitclaim deed need to be "verified" once I decide to

Customer Question

Does a quitclaim deed need to be "verified" once I decide to sell my property which was given to me with a quitclaim deed. It was recorded years ago. Issue is that the gifter is abroad and has no way of coming here. He works for the Chinese gov't and they keep his passport locked up unless he has to travel for work.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon Robert,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

It is not unusual for a lender/title company to demand to be able to verify that the quit claim deed is what it purports to be and not a possible forgery. So yes, it is not unusual for a title company to need/demand to verify the validity of a quit claim deed in conjunction with a lender making a mortgage to the buyer of a property that the seller obtained by quit claim deed. However the verification process is certainly not required by law. But it can be made a requirement by a lender or title insurance company.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good evening,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,