Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I just received a collections letter on behalf of the city

Customer Question

I just received a collections letter on behalf of the city of San Francisco.
They state that I owe on a bill from 1998. This is the first I have heard of it.
I sold my business in SF. in 1998 and moved away.
Is there a statute of limitations.
How should I proceed?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Is this a tax bill they are seeking to collect from you?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
from 1998 its an unsecured property tax bill

Thank you for your reply.

3007. Statute of limitations. Civil actions for delinquent taxes or assessments pursuant to Section 3003 shall be commenced within three years of the date upon which unsecured taxes became delinquent. The limitation period of this section shall be tolled for any and all periods during which a civil action described by this section is prohibited by federal bankruptcy laws or rules, or by a court order.

So if they did not file suit within the time in the statute of limitations, they are barred from suing you over the taxes. They can send you notices, but they cannot take enforcement action, because the 3 year statute of limitations according to the CA law has expired. So you need to send them a letter informing them you deny owing any such taxes and as is has been over 18 years, this is beyond the 3 year CA statute of limitations for alleged delinquent taxes. Leave it at that. CA is so broke, along with most of the cities, they try to intimidate people to collect. If they try to intimidate you tell them to sue you at which time you would prove the delinquency is not due and beyond the statute of limitations.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok ill give it a try, thanks.Paul
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.