Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I live in state. I signed a lease and sent to landlord prior

Customer Question

I live in Washington state. I signed a lease and sent to landlord prior to moving in. She has not signed it. I asked for 130.00 to help compensate for not having a working fridge and she sent me an email asking me to vacate by 8/31/16 as I am too needy and we can not work together.
Is the contract valid or not? If I want to go ahead and leave can she enforce the one year lease that I originally signed?
Thank you! I am in a real pinch!
Kori
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Let me draft you an answer, hold on for a bit.

A written lease becomes a binding contract when both parties -- tenant and landlord -- sign the agreement. In Washington state, landlord-tenant laws require a signed and notarized lease for a rental arrangement that are for more than one year. The signed lease reflects the terms of the agreement between the landlord and tenant. If either party fails to meet the obligations required by the lease, such as the tenant's payment of rent or the landlord's upkeep of the property, the other party can take legal action based on the lease. When the lease doesn't include the landlord's signature, it might be more difficult for a tenant to enforce the terms of the agreement.

You could argue that there is an implied lease as the landlord cannot evict you over the facts you have given me. It might be best to argue that there is a lease and if the landlord does evict you that this would be a wrongful eviction. A tenant might lack a lease with the landlord's signature if the tenant signed first and provided a copy to the landlord but didn't receive a completed, signed copy in return. A landlord might try to imply signature of an agreement by accepting a tenant's rent payments or by allowing a tenant to take residence in a rental property. Under these circumstances, a lease without the landlord's signature may still be valid and legally binding in the event of a dispute. If this is a valid lease and a valid eviction, you could be forced to pay rent until the end of the lease or until the landlord finds a new tenant, whichever is sooner.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site.