Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I bought a house joining with another person in the way if I

Customer Question

I bought a house joining with another person in the way if I die she will owner 100% and vice-versa.I want to sell my part can I do that without her permission
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

What you are talking about is a "joint tenancy with right of survivorship". If you decide to sell your half to someone, that will sever the joint tenancy and convert it into a "tenancy in common" where both parties own 50% and it would pass down to their heirs if they die.

.

So yes, there is nothing that would prevent you from selling your half without informing the other owner as that is your right.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can I do that because the other person say she won't sign anything

Yes, as I said, you don't have to have permission of the other owner to sell... You an sell your 50% to anyone you want to and just transfer your interest to them via a quitclaim deed.

.

.

thanks