Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I live in Colorado and own land in . I am wanting to sell it

Customer Question

I live in Colorado and own land in Washington. I am wanting to sell it but there is a squatter there who has moved in her "stuff' and is running the realtor off. A couple years ago, she even put in a new well pump without my permission. At that time, I went out there and made her rent the land and she paid for about a year then she quit paying. I went back put there and her stuff was off the land. I have called the sheriff but they say it's a civil matter.
What can I do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Can you tell me how long the person has been living there?

Do you know the person?

How long ago did she stop paying rent?

Was there an agreed on amount of rent?

And the obvious question.... is there some reason why you didn't move to evict her once she stopped paying rent?