Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin

My lease is up on 1 Sep and my landlord decided that he

Customer Question

Hi there. My lease is up on 1 Sep and my landlord decided that he wants to sell the apartment I am in. Since one week now his pushy real estate agent bombards me with textmessages and phone calls and pushes me to let other agents in to show my place to potential buyers. she ( the agent of my landlord) is not showing the place herself. She wants me to let people in every other day (weekends and during the weekday evenings) and tell me if I don't agree to certain yimelines with her then she will have a key lock box installed in front of my apartment so that people can come in when I am not there. i feel harassed and invated in my privacy and cannot rest. what am I regally responsible for to do? Also, who is responsible if things/jewelry goes missing. i have no drawer that locks. Thank you for your advice. i don't know what to do anymore and want to do the right thing... Krgds, Kerstin
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

I am sorry that you find yourself in this situation. Let me very clearly summarize your rights and your obligations.

First of all, as a tenant, you are entitled to 'quiet enjoyment' of the premises. That means you are entitled to not be unreasonably harassed or have the landlord interfere with your use and enjoyment of the premises. That is not an unlimited right, however--you do need to assist the landlord but when it is 'reasonable' for you to do so. A key lock box only goes on the property if you consent--if you refuse to consent, the realtor cannot place one there because you are ultimately entitled to peace and quiet. But if you completely refuse to allow access, it can be seen as unreasonable. As such you may want to compromise, set specific hours or days when access may be granted, and have the realtor work around your schedule.

As far as missing items, typically if you can prove that it was taken during the showing, the landlord and realtor are responsible for replacement value.

Dimitry, Esq.