Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

I live in Oregon, part of my sewer line runs under the

Customer Question

I live in Oregon, part of my sewer line runs under the neighbor's yard, am I liable to fix that section. It is not know whether his line connects into my line.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Most likely, yes. If your sewer line runs through your neighbor's property then there is a sewer easement encumbering your neighbor's property to the benefit of your property.

Simply research the public record and find the easement agreement. That will reveal the terms of the your use of your neighbor's property, which likely requires you to maintain the sewer line and pay for any damage to your neighbor's property caused by its use. If it is shared and there is no easement then you would not be liable for such repairs.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?