Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

A sewer lien is property can the sewer department take my

Customer Question

a sewer lien is property can the sewer department take my property
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Is this private sewer line? How is the "sewer department" taking your sewer lien. Could you please describe a little bit about what is happening?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the sewer department put a lien of 177000.on the property . if i pay the taxes on the property can they take my property

I would like to ask you a couple more questions as I misunderstood your original question. What is the lien for? Do you have a mortgage on your property?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no mortgage. just $ 177000. sewer bill. i know it sounds bad for a sewer bill this high but i dont want to pay taxes and still lose my property

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Unfortunately yes, a lien holder can foreclose as long as they are the first lien holder. It sounds as if this is the case and this utility lien can foreclose on your property to get payment of the past due amounts. The municipality also has the power to sue you in a civil action to recover the money due for services rendered, plus a reasonable attorney's fee, to be fixed by the court . If a judgment is entered in such a civil action the created lien against the real estate shall not be effective thereafter as to charges sued upon and no lien shall exist thereafter against the real estate for the delinquency. Judgment in such a civil action operates as a release and waiver of the lien for the amount of the judgment.

65 ILCS 5/11-139-8; 65 ILCS 5/11-141-7; 65 ILCS 5/1

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or number from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site.

ust checking back in, do you have any further questions?