Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

My neighbor has a gate that opens up onto our driveway. It

Customer Question

My neighbor has a gate that opens up onto our driveway. It is located behind our house and in front of the garage which also sits behind the house. It is not the only way to access their back yard? We don't want them to use it but they insist.They have yard maintenance and pest control companies come up our driveway and use the gate. We had no idea that the gate was there when we bought the house in 2013, and since then they have replaced the fence and insisted on putting the gate in once again. The only way we can access our backyard is going up the driveway and sometimes the neighbor is sitting in a chair in the driveway trimming shrubs. My dog goes up to her and it scares her. Many issues here, but the big one is that I feel that my space is being encroached upon.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Lincoln Nebraska
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not officially, but was told to just not to acknowledge them when they ask me to move my car so that they can access their back yard for lawn equipment.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: They know we don't like them using their gate and we have told lawn companies etc not to use the driveway to access their yard.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
How long have they been using the gate and your driveway?