Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

We own property in TN which was vandalized. Insurance

Customer Question

We own property in TN which was vandalized. Insurance refused to pay. We had property boarded up for safety. Today we were notified our LLC was being sued by the city for violations essentially relating to not fixing up the property. The LLC is essentially broke and we live in another state and making the dated court appearance is not viable. I have no idea what to do. My first thought was to try to call the court but I don't really know what I would even say.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We own property in TN which was vandalized. Insurance refused to pay. We had property boarded up for safety. Today we were notified our LLC was being sued by the city for violations essentially relating to not fixing up the property. The LLC is essentially broke and we live in another state andmaking the dated court appearance is not viable. I have no idea what to do. My first thought was to try to call the court but I don't really know what I would even say.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just confirming you received my note and are responding.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

If you do nothing the court will fine the LLC and, if nothing is done, it could condemn the property and seize it.

If you have a lender then they could sue for the repayment of the mortgage and get a personal judgment if you personally guaranteed the loan.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.