Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor, multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation & admin
18572087

Six years ago I leased a home one year Lease was never

Customer Question

Six years ago I leased a home one year Lease was never renewed tho I continued renting Am I bound by terms of original one year Lease?
.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The answer here is both a 'yes' and a 'no'. Please permit me to explain.

As far as length and termination, because there is no longer a lease, you are no longer bound by the length terms. In other words if you want to terminate the lease now and to walk away, provided you give enough notice (typically 30 days or one period of rent), you can do so.

But as far as terms, unless and until those terms are changed by both parties, those terms remain in force. For example if the lease was for $1,000 a month, the tenant cannot start paying $800 and state that this is the new term--the landlord must agree to it. Likewise the landlord may choose to increase the rent, but would need to give notice AND the tenant must agree to it.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.