Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

I need help. I am in Lake , Louisiana and i was red as a

Customer Question

Hi there... my name is ***** ***** I need help.
I am in Lake Charles, Louisiana and i was hired as a contractor so as to work for AAR which is an aviation maintenance facility... the company is going out of business and they laid off pretty much everybody.
I just talked to the manager of the apartment I am renting and told them i have to leave cause they laid me off... she said that i have to pay two months of rent plus $500 and they are not even giving me the deposit i gave them when i moved in.
Please let me know if you can help me.
Thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hi Carlos,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The lease you signed when you moved into your apartment is unfortunately binding. A landlord is not required legally to miss out on rent because a tenant's employment circumstances change. If you wind up moving out before the lease is up, you're responsible for rent until a new tenant can be found or the lease is up (whichever is sooner). One way for you to avoid losing money is to advertise the place on your own and find a new tenant. If you can find someone else to move in at the same time you move out, the landlord isn't out any money and has no basis for charging you an additional two months rent.

Louisiana law unfortunately does allow a landlord to keep a deposit when a tenant breaks a lease. Rev. Stat., Section 9:3251(c). But if you can find someone to take over your lease and pay a new deposit, you may be able to get your original deposit back.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?