Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

We have lived in our Apartment over 20 Years. We have had

Customer Question

We have lived in our Apartment over 20 Years. We have had essentially the same Rent amount since we moved in. Now the Owner has a new Management Company. They want to raise our Rent over $300 dollars, plus they want us to sign a new Month to Month Lease at the time they raise our Rent. We are on a Month to Month Lease now. Can they just do what they want, or do we have some rights in this case? I am on Social Security and my Partner is on Federal Disability, so we have fixed Incomes. Thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

First, you have no obligation whatsoever to sign a new month-to-month lease unless they give you proper notice. Your original lease transfers to the new landlord.

Are you in an area of California that has rent controls? If you're not sure, what city are you in and how many units are in the apartment?

Did you still need help with this?