Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

I purchased a property that was former dentist office. It is

Customer Question

I purchased a property that was former dentist office. It is in an R1 district in Illinois. Other special use permits in R1 are multifamily dwellings and I want to convert to triplex. Do I need special use permit to continue. I am not adding on.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Since you are a new owner and you are changing over the use, even though the building was there before, you will need to apply for the special use permit, since the grandfather rights applied to the initial specific use and you are converting the use I am afraid.