J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

Are there any legal remedies living in a condo that is

Customer Question

Are there any legal remedies for smokers living in a condo that is proposing amending the bylaws to a totally non smoking entity?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is my response?

Unfortunately, there is nothing to prevent the voting by owners to amend bylaws and declarations to convert a condo to a total non-smoking property. However, current owners would be permitted to be grandfathered in and therefore anyone that currently owns a unit will be permitted to smoke. Any transfer of ownership in the future would be subject to the new covenant and restriction. While this doesn't seem fair, there has been no winning challenge to such an amendment as the courts recognize the dangers of second hand smoke and that fact out weighs one's right to a legal activity in the confines of their own property. While you and I may agree this is overreaching and unfair it is the current status.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!