Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

We bought a home in September 2015. We are having many

Customer Question

We bought a home in September 2015. We are having many problems with the home-structure, plumbing, water leaks, faulty construction.....I have been researching the builders (a son and father team). The father does not have a current general contractors license and the son has no license whatsoever. I found this information on my state's contracted workers licensing page. I called my county and they sent me a copy of the builder's permit. The son was listed as "owner" with none of the "contractor" information filled in. I was told that he most likely secured the permit to build a personal property to live in himself. It is my understanding a builder/owner must live in the home 12 months before selling. In light of this, and all of the problems we are experiencing, what can we now do legally?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Was there any type of warranty given or was the warranty expressly "disclaimed" (meaning that they said there is no warranty)?