Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I allowed someone to park a trailer house on my property

Customer Question

I allowed someone to park a trailer house on my property for storage for five months. It was supposed to be moved in the spring of 2015. I have been asking the person to please get it moved. It is still there. What are my options?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 4 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I have a couple of preliminary questions. Is anyone living in the trailer? Did you have an agreement in writing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No one is living in the trailer. It is just parked there and not hooked up. There is no agreement in writing.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is trying to sell it but no one wants it after they see how much work it needs.

Since you initially provided permission for storing the trailer on your land this would not be viewed as a trespass. On the other hand you had a verbal agreement that the trailer would be permitted for 5 months.

The first step is to send a certified letter return receipt requested demanding that the trailer be removed from your land. Give this person a specific date that this must be removed. The question then becomes if this will be treated as abandoned property. Give me a moment to pull up the governing laws.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't want to talk and I can't afford any more money so I will just get off now.

You don't have to talk.

Did the site ask you to pay more money? It is my pleasure to continue to assist you at no additional charge. Did you Customer Service contact you to explain that you do not need to pay for a phone call?