RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
9540344

Bought a property if seller made repairs, home inspector

Customer Question

Bought a property if seller made repairs, home inspector signed off and the roof still leaking where repairs were to be made.now being told to get an atterny. Tried contacting her roofer was told did it for a friend of the seller now no response at all
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Good morning. Just to be clear, the issues were discovered during inspection and the seller agreed to fix them but there are still issues?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is correct. Now being told it's my problem
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Inspector signed off w/o respecting

Thank you. The seller did have an obligation to properly fix these issues and if they failed to properly do so, could be liable. Now, you shared that the inspector signed off on them, so you really would need to bring in someone to look over the current issues and determine if they are directly related and a result, of what was at issue prior. If the roofer was a friend of the seller, it is unlikely they gave them any warranty on the work, since they could ask them to come back out and repair it. However, you also shared that the inspector signed off WITHOUT re-inspecting and if they did so, this could be a breach of their duties and you could go after and sue them. There should be no reason that this was not re-inspected and done, to assure that the issues were fixed. Based upon what you shared above, if the roofer will not respond and come back out, then you need to sue the seller, if it can be shown that they never repairs this and the inspector as well, who signed off without actually inspecting this and committed fraud and a breach of their duties.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know.