Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

How to determine legal validity of a COA in State based on

Customer Question

how to determine legal validity of a COA in Washington State based on conformance to RCW regulations?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

1. What COA is at issue?

2. What RCW is at issue?

3. Can you please give us more background information so we can better assist you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it is a small 4-plex condominium association .RCW 64.38.035 mandates, amongst other things, yearly meetings of all owners ( over the past seven years there have been two such occurrences -of which I have been notified): RCW 64.38.025 annual budget notification and ratification procedures ( not one since the latest un- elected president took over from her now deceased husband seven years ago);RCW 64.38.045 ( flat out refusal to make financial records available, ditto records of current owners):
RCW 64.38.025; (Especially relevant in the last cited ICW -"Despite the fact that the law requires a unit owner to provide the resale certificate to their buyer, the certificate must be signed by an officer or agent of the association. Once a unit owner requests the certificate from the association, it must be provided within 10 days." This and 'notification of intent to sell'- both sent by certified mail to the registered condominium office address returned as undeliverable.
This plus conveyance of title sale of two units without notice or approval of of the condo unit owners. The list goes on but these are the most significant of the infractions of the RCWs, Condo Declaration requirements and COA By-laws. Since the erstwhile president now owns three out of the four units, what options -other than an expensive law suit- do I, as the last other unit owner, have? I have a potentially interested buyer , with bank financing arranged, but without the cooperation of the 'Board of Directors'- i.e. the other owner - we are at a standstill... Any suggestions appreciated.
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

I am not aware of any options here for you other that actually filing a lawsuit or threatening to file a lawsuit that would bring you relief here if the other party is not voluntarily willing to negotiate a solution. For the deposit amount that you have posted, I can should you a legal strategy that might work; but if not you would still have to go forward with a suit. Did you want to continue?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
after my own heart, maverick. unclear about 'the deposit amount i have posted though. are you referring to my desk into subscription level? if so, oh yes, DO tell me more!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please respond asap?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please contact me