Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

My wife and I are divorcing and I am selling the home to

Customer Question

My wife and I are divorcing and I am selling the home to her, however she wants to deduct closing costs from the appraised value- Is this correct, does Texas Law allow this. What closing costs is she going to assume? - help
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Texas law allows whatever you agree to. Some sales have buyer pay closing costs, some sales have the seller pay. In my case, the seller paid and this is essentially what your wife is asking you to do.

I would say that the majority of the time in Texas the buyer pays the closing costs though.