LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.

My husband passed away December 2013 had a tire business was

Customer Question

My husband passed away December 2013 had a tire business was paying rent to the bldg owner then property was sold one year ago had to sign a new lease with new owner because my husband passed away and I was not on the old lease does the old lease still pertain to me even though new lease was signed with new owner
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug and I am very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The old lease would only apply in the event that the previous owner had a cause of action against you for something like unpaid rent prior to the date that the property changed hands and you signed a new lease with the new owner.

Once you signed the new lease---presuming it was a new lease and not simply a renewal of the old lease or an addendum to the original lease---then the old lease no longer applies to the lease terms of your situation because the new lease is fully controlling as regards ***** ***** and obligations.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,