KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Arbitrator
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

The community we live in has suspended all our HOA

Customer Question

The community we live in has suspended all our HOA privileges for non-payment of HOA fees. But we no longer live in the house and the bank has foreclosed. We are now renting a home in the same community. Should we be permitted the HOA privileges under the the owner/lessor who is paying the HOA fees?
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In Florida, once the property goes through foreclosure, and HOA dues are deemed due and owing. In most cases the dues are usually brought current through the sale and paid for by the proceeds of the sale. The title company at the closing will calculate the outstanding balance into the final settlement statement through the escrow. However, many times the bank will just pay all the dues past due. If they were not paid at the sale then the HOA may continue its collection efforts from you based upon the lien they still retain. So you should try and see if the dues were paid by the bank.

I hope this helps with your question.