Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My apartment flooded today -- third time. There is a broken

Customer Question

My apartment flooded today -- for the third time. There is a broken faucet on the outside wall of my building. The first flood was caused when the maintenance man turned on the broken faucet. My bathroom flooded immediately, so I ran outside and told him to turn it off. A few days later, he turned it back on again, flooding my bathroom again. I again ran out there & told him to turn it off. He was subsequently fired. Today power washers were at my building, so I called the office and told Gabe there to make sure the power washers don't use the broken faucet because it has already flooded my apartment twice. He assured me that they have their own water source and won't be using the faucets. Wrong. At 5:30 p.m., I received a call from the maintenance manager informing me that the power washers used the broken faucet & that my apartment had flooded the bathroom, half the bedroom carpet, the kitchen, and half the living room carpet. They ripped out the padding where it was flooded and brought 3 industrial fans to dry out the carpet. They said I should have my apartment back to normal by Monday. Do I have any right to compensation for putting up with soaked carpet & industrial fans for 4 nights? They aid the power washer company owes me a steak dinner but it seems to me that I should be entitled to a little more than that! Thank you.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If the apartment is uninhabitable due to the water, then the landlord has a legal duty to put you up in a hotel until the repairs are made. The landlord has a legal duty to provide a habitable dwelling and if it is flooded, then he is in breach of contract.

.

Further, since they were aware of the leak but were negligent in not fixing it, they would have to pay you for any damages you have sustained to your personal property or for any other expenses due to their actions.

.

You aren't going to get a big settlement here, but they do have to compensate you for your losses and damages so as to put you back in the same position you were in before the flooding. This could be in the form of a hotel stay and a per diem for food if you are unable to cook in your apartment.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks