CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

Living in apt. since 2009 paying $1200. August 2013 raised

Customer Question

Living in apt. since 2009 paying $1200. August 2013 raised to $1300, now starting in July raise to 1400. 1 bedroom apt. in Torrance, CA. Nothing has been upgraded in the apt. except the painting outside building which did not make a difference to me. is it fair to raise this rent again in July 2016.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of the rental increases for your unit. While Torrance CA is similar to the vast majority of communities in CA in that there are no rent control or stabilization laws (so the landlord can raise rent as much as they wish - without regard to the amenities or improvements), the way in which the landlord raises the rent is subject to very specific limitations.

The California Attorney General provides a very helpful guide to how landlords may increase rent for their units (both in a single increase, and over the course of a 12 month period): http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/legal_guides/lt-2.shtml