AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

Mother pasted sept 28, 2015. I was name on property I have

Customer Question

Mother pasted sept 28, 2015. I was name on property for yrs I have quit claim deed. The personal property was the estate. Must be sold and divided . My sister was written in the will not to get anything because of credit card fraud in mothers name. Sister used mothers barn to store refrg. dishwasher. washer dryer , for at least ten years. She has been told by estate later to remove has not. Tomorrow is open house for my property sale. I had her appliances picked up by salvage guys. No money exchanged. I'm being told she has rights after ten yrs an a bankruptcy.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 4 months ago.

I'm Heather. I've been an attorney for fifteen years, and I'd like to assist you for informational purposes. Your sister could plausibly make a claim, but this doesn't mean that she'd be successful. Arguably, her property was abandoned, and worthless (appliances over ten years old). If she made a claim, you could counter claim for unjust enrichment, because she stored the property for free to the estate's detriment. I think that if she makes a claim, it will be so weak that she won't get very far. Best of luck with your sale!