Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My brother and i own property in joint tenants that we

Customer Question

my brother and i own property in joint tenants that we purchased as single men. it is managed by a management company. Now we are both married. if we change the form of title from joint to tenants in common, and one of us gets divorced, will the wife asking for the divorce be now entitled to claim against that property acquired prior to marriage.
thank you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

if we change the form of title from joint to tenants in common, and one of us gets divorced, will the wife asking for the divorce be now entitled to claim against that property acquired prior to marriage.

.

No, changing the title of separate property between the two current owners wouldn't somehow serve to add the spouses to the deed or give them any ownership interest in it. They would have to actually be added to the deed to convert the husband's separate property into marital property.

.

.

thanks