legalgems, Arbitrator
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I need to know if it is legal in PA 2-yr lease to

Customer Question

I need to know if it is legal in PA for a 2-yr lease to automatically renew for one year. Our landlord is telling us that we needed to give her 90 days notice in February since our lease auto-renewed in April for another year. We never received any notice from her stating that the lease would auto-renew. When we looked at the house, she told us it would go month-to-month, but the after receiving her letter, we looked at the lease and it states 1 yr.
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet!
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: Nope. We gave notice on May 1st that we would be leaving on June 15th. She wrote us that she will need ~$5500 to break the lease on 6/15 or we would owe her $13,000 for the balance of the lease. We responded that we were will to give her a 90 day notice and pay until July. She is not returning any of our calls. And she hasn't cashed our May rent check yet.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your patience as I reviewed this.
Landlord tenant laws are codified at 68 PS 250.101 et seq.

Unfortunately a lease is a contract, and if the lease specifies that a certain time frame re: notice to vacate is to be provided to the landlord, that term would be enforceable as there is no statute prohibiting it.

Most leases have a provision allowing for early termination (ie a fee to be paid to release the tenant). Many people will pay that to avoid liability on the entire lease, since the law is unclear as to whether a landlord has a duty to mitigate its damages by actively locating another tenant. (in contrast, most states do have a duty to mitigate requirement)

I am sorry this is not the information you would like to hear but I have a moral duty to provide accurate information.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Checking to see how the above worked out for you.

If you decide to hire an attorney:

Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:

Thank you for using JA!