Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I placed a down payment on a townhome in early stages of

Customer Question

I placed a down payment on a townhome in early stages of being built out of frustration with a very tight sellers market. A townhome I previously put an offer on which someone offered a cash deal, fell though and he didn't actually have the cash, was offered to me again. It is more in the price range I want to spend. I put $1,000.00 on the new build on May 12, which was cashed May 19. I notified the seller on June 1 of my decision not to buy. This unit was never taken off the real estate listings during that time. Do I have any legal recourse to refund any portion of my down payment?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Did you sign anything stating that the money was non-refundable or the contract non-cancelable?

Also, did they do anything they weren't supposed to do or fail to do something they were supposed to do?