Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

I just bought an easement in a campground in Ohio. The

Customer Question

I just bought an easement in a campground in Ohio. The easement has an old work ramp that has been made by a camper wide enough to put boats in. I know that it is dangerous, but when i went to the court house to question it, they said, they has ingress and egress rights on that easement. My question is. As the deed owner, what can i do, and am i liable if there is an accident on the ramp? It is a fifty foot easement, and my proprty runs alond it.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, as a deed owner you cannot impair the rights of the easement users by damaging the easement. So you cannot remove the ramp, but if the easement is dangerous and it does not say otherwise, you as a landowner where the easement runs may make repairs to the easement or you can post signs warning all users that they use at their own risk because of the dangers to avoid liability. If you do neither and someone is injured, you could face potential liability because you know it is dangerous.