AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

I am a member of an HOA. and my home has been scheduled to

Customer Question

I am a member of an HOA. and my home has been scheduled to be painted. The color chosen is totally inconsistent with the other homes in the development. All the other homes are light in color and mine is scheduled to be painted a dark brown. I have requested to the Board that this issue be addressed through arbitration and that my home not be painted until this matter can be resolved. I feel that this color will have a negative impact on our property values.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I'd like to assist you for informational purposes.

What a difficult situation!

You will need to get a copy of the association covenants or bylaws. Those documents will spell out exactly what the HOA can and cannot do. It will say in those documents if the HOA has the right to enter your property and do the painting, and upon what terms. In order to give yourself added protection, you should make sure that you have copies of letters and documents you have sent the board stating that you do not consent with the color choice and you object to your home being painted the dark brown color.