Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My grandmother is a 90 year old widow in Californnia. She

Customer Question

My grandmother is a 90 year old widow in Californnia. She does not like to ask family for help and I guess her house was being forclosed on and some real estate investor contacted her and cooersed her into letting her put a lein on the house. MY question is what possible laws could have been broek if this man took advantage of my grandmothers age. I am not at this time her legal guradian but will be within the nxt 7 days
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Has grandmother every been declared medically or legally incompetent by her doctors or a judge?

.

What was the lien for?

.

Did she take out a loan on the property?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A San Mateo County judge ordered that the county take legal guardianship of her. I don't know yet if this is from being declared incompetent. I don;t think she can drive anymore. I'm still trying to figure out what the lien is from, s

Ok, if she was legally incompetent when she signed any legal documents, then they can be voided out since she wouldn't have had the mental capacity to enter into a contract.

.

If the judge has ordered a guardianship, then part of that is declaring her legally incompetent and a "ward" with the guardian being put in charge of her life.

.

So once you get appointed to be guardian, you can file a suit against the investor to have the contract set aside based on lack of mental capacity.

.

.

thanks