Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I have a 7 bedroom home in the island of Oahu. I am

Customer Question

I have a 7 bedroom home in the island of Oahu. I am currently leasing it to someone who is using my property as a business for private home care. My concern is the traffic going in and out of the residence which will likely speed up ware and tare on current items in the home. Then since this is a private elderly adult facility patients may pass away. When I decide to put my home up for sale I would need to disclose that to buyers and my bring down the value of my home and drive away potential buyers. How can I include all this in my lease agreement and is there a certain percentage value I can raise the monthly rent?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to determine the decrease in value of your home from clients of the business passing away in the residence, you would need to find out from a local real estate appraiser the amount it would decrease the value. That is the percentage of additional increase you should add to your monthly rent. If it is a commercial/business lease, you can raise the rent as much as you want, but to determine what is appropriate you need to know from a local appraiser the percentage amount it would decrease your value of your property to make sure you have the proper rent increase value.