Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  JA Mentor

What do I need to do about someone that has forged my land

Customer Question

What do I need to do about someone that has forged my land deed an built their house on my property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

You have the ability to file an Action in Ejectment, asking the judge to find that they are not the legal owner of your house and ordering them to leave. As part of that same case, you can also include a count for trespassing, asking the judge to order this person to pay you for the time he has used your property AND the costs for tearing down the house and restoring the land. Alternatively, the judge can give them a certain amount of time to remove the house, but you can still ask that they pay you to put the land back the way it is - meaning if they dug a basement or a well, they need to fill in those holes. If they added a driveway, you can make them pay to rip it up. Things like that.

The statute of limitations on this type of action is 15 years from the date they established possession of your property.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.