Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

I own a building in Connecticut there was a person from the

Customer Question

I own a building in Connecticut there was a person from the gas company that came on the property to turn off the gas meter when there was a mistake for non payment. I the owner told the gas company person to stay off from my property he was trespassing. He called the police. I have never been in trouble or arrested I am 61 years old and own a welding shop and the building. The police did not even come to my front door and just started walking this man onto my property. I told the officer that I did not want that man on my property and warned him about trespassing. The cop YELLED AT ME SHUT UP OR I WOULD BE ARRESTED. MY SON WAS THERE AND ASKED WHY I WOPuld be arrested he turned to him and said to him do you want a problem too. I told them again to leave and they went and stood in the street. This cop had no reason to threighten us. I asked him for his name and badge number he wouldn't tell me then he said his badge number was 527 and gave me his name I checked his badge number and it was number 5 not 527 he lied to me. Another officer came ten minutes later and the both of them walked this man I told to stay off my property to the back of my building to look at the meter and lock it out. They would not answer me and ignored me. I have all of this recorded the building is always filmed due to the work we do for NASA. What can be done to these officers?
Thank you
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

Unfortunately there is something called "implied consent" with utility companies that gives them the right to enter private property to check on their meters, do work, or connect or disconnect services without the property owner's specific agreement. So when they agree to provide services to the property, the owner impliedly agrees to allow them to enter it for business purposes.

So what the gas company employee was doing was legal and you can't bar him from the property. When the police arrived, they quickly assessed the situation and realized the the gas man was in the right and they they acted as an escort so that things wouldn't escalate. So he legally wasn't trespassing and I hate to say it, but you were in the wrong here..

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience,even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...