Samuel-II, Lawyer
Experience:  real estate law

My roommate assaulted me and was using drugs so I packed up

Customer Question

My roommate assaulted me and was using drugs so I packed up and left, found a person interested in taking over my lease but the roomie refused. Finally we signed a hand written notice for the landlord making my roomie 100% responsible for the lease but now she refuses to give the form to the landlord and wants me to continue to pay my half the rent saying she will take me to court for it. Is there any way out of this mess?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 4 months ago.

This is Samuel. Ugh. So she has the signed copy of the agreement for her to take over the lease? I suggest, you first ask your LL to ask her for the agreement. If she will not agree, then if you go to court, you can be prepared to show the judge that she is a violent person as she assaulted you and that she uses drugs. Of course, you need proof. So what you can do is tell her to turn in the document to the LL or you will file assault charges against her and have a police record to show the court and she would lose.