Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Can the county court take possession of a house with

Customer Question

Can the county court take possession of a house with delinquent taxes when the mortgage itself is current? My ex-husband & I have been trying to sell our house in Mount Carmel, IL for quite some time & owe for 3 years back property taxes, so I'm not denying that we owe them. I just want to know if we should continue to pay the mortgage on a house that is going to be sold at a tax sale. Please advise.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

There is a tax sale procedure that allows the county or city to issue tax deeds for properties that have delinquent property taxes. Here's a good link that outlines the process: http://www.cookcountytreasurer.com/annualtaxsalebackgroundinformation.aspx

Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

If you haven't paid property taxes in 3 years, it is very possible that a tax deed could be issued regardless of whether your mortgage is up to date - - as one has nothing to do with the other.

Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

USUALLY, if a borrower's property taxes fall behind, the lender will pay the property taxes and add the expense onto the borrower's mortgage.