Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Back December of 2004 i went to closing on my current house

Customer Question

back December of 2004 i went to closing on my current house at the time of closing i was 2000.00 short at closing assuming the deal was going to fall threw my agent who is now decease went into a private meeting and when they return everything was ok telling me the seller lowered the cost of the house so that the deal may be in 2016 i tried to re-finance and was told that a lien for 3000.00 was place on your house 2day after my initial closing, i call the person who name is ***** ***** the lien to my knowledge no person from that company has no knowledge of this are no terms what so ever or instructions for this lein please advise me on what are my options regarding this lean
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll b glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

IF you never signed a promissory note or lien for the money the account was short, then it would be difficult for the lender to have a lien.

Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

That said, you should find out what exactly the lien is for, review the document, etc.....and if the lien is can file a petition to quiet title and remove cloud....which is a proceeding you would file to cancel the lien.

Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

You'd have to name the lienholder as a defendant, and serve it at the last known address, and if no response is made, you should be able to get a default judgment against the lienholder defendant and have the court issue an order voiding and removing the lien.