Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

We purchased a property, paid in full, $9,000 cash. We get

Customer Question

We purchased a property, paid in full, $9,000 cash. We get the title back and the property description reads, it sounds like 4 lots. About 2 years later, we find out that we do not own all of the property we thought we had purchased. The house sits on one lot, the garage sits on another. The garage lot is the one that we do not own. The children who inherited the properties, only paid the taxes on the house piece and signed it over. The real estate agent has been working on finding all 5 heirs to get the garage property signed over since last fall. There is 3 years, going on 4 years of back taxes owed on the garage property. It will be going on auction in August because of taxes. We know of at least 2 people who want that property and can out bid us. How can we secure the garage property that we already paid for with the house. Or can we get the people who sold us the house, to give us some money back to reimburse for the garage that we now do not own?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

Did the sellers represent that they owned the garage and it was included in the sale price?

.

And I am guessing that you didn't get a survey done to make sure what you were buying..

.

And all the sellers/heirs are now long gone, correct?

.

Have you been using the garage and lot for the last few years?

.

If so, how long has it been ?

.

.

thanks