Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I currently own a condo in NJ (pay taxes to Middletown, NJ)

Customer Question

Hi, I currently own a condo in NJ (pay taxes to Middletown, NJ) when I purchased in 2008 through approx Sept 2015, we had access to the trash compactor to dispose of trash anytime. Because of the compactor was being misused it was moved and off limits to all the owners. Garbage is now picked up Monday, Wednesday and Friday, so the other other 4 days we are expected to keep garbage in our homes. I managed this during the winter by putting garbage in my car, now that it's hot out, this solution just isn't going to work.
I am curious to know if there is an ordinance or some kind of rule saying that we must have access to trash bins or something. I feel like it's a health issue, expecting people to keep garbage in their homes.
thanks you,
Eileen Zito
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. This would be in a county or municipal code. See HERE. Specifically HERE. Nothing in the municipal code states that there is a mandated time that direct access should be provided, I am afraid.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.