Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

In State, what is the law regarding residential lease

Customer Question

In Washington State, what is the law regarding residential lease deposit refunds?
How long do they have? Is an itemized list of deductions required?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Under Washington law, the landlord must return the security deposit within 14 days of moving out or provide a written statement itemizing the deductions.

A landlord who fails to comply with these rules may have to return the entire security deposit to the tenant even if deductions would have been warranted. A landlord who wrongfully withholds all or a portion of a tenant’s security deposit may be liable for paying up to two times the tenant’s security deposit plus court costs and reasonable attorney’s fees.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My first and second years were with a lease that was renewed. I then changed to a month to month. Does this have any change to your answer above?
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

No, that would not affect the answer.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

So long as you retained possession and occupancy when the lease went month to month, without interruption, there is no difference regarding the security deposit.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.