TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I would like to terminate a Timeshare contract that I

Customer Question

I would like to terminate a Timeshare contract that I entered in 2007 with Global Exchange Vacation Club (GEVC).
How can I terminate this timeshare? Is there a way to get a communication from GEVC that I am no longer an owner?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

What does the contract state about terminations? The contract itself will govern this issue.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Buyer shall automatically become a member of the Association, and shall remain a
member thereof until Buyer ceases to own his Membership. The membership of Buyer in the Association is inseparable
from Buyers ownership of a Membership, and shall automatically transfer upon any authorized transfer or assigiment
of the ownership of Buyers Membership.So, it appears that I must get authorization to transfer my Ownership/Membership. How do I do that?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
For a few years it was a net asset, as I used RCI Points for lodging, but with age & health issues I no longer take trips, & the annual assessment is $864, a complete liability.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again.

You'll need to find a buyer for the timeshare, and then contact the Association with the buyer's information so that they can authorize the transfer of your timeshare interest to the purchaser. If you can't find a purchaser, then you can simply give away your interest to whomever will accept it, but the point is that after you know who will be the new owner, you need to get authorization which is likely just rubber stamped.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you need further clarification, and please remember to provide positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All that is crystal clear, but it is equally clear that no one will pay $864/year for nothing. I was hoping to get a recommendation of an Organization that has successfully terminated Timeshares & has done it in a way that can be trusted.If you have such a recommendation, please email to me at***@******.***
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again.

Unfortunately, timeshares can be difficult to unload, as you suggested. Terminating the timeshare is not possible. Selling or giving it away may be possible. To be honest, the only successful way that I've heard of to get rid of the timeshare is to donate it to charity. You can reaed about it here:

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!