CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing HOAs, homeowners, businesses and others in real estate matters.
71563194

In PA, when a property is on a county line, what determines

Customer Question

in PA, when a property is on a county line, what determines which county has jurisdiction for tax?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

The parcel is going to be taxed based on which county it is located in.

So if the deed for the parcel is recorded in County X, then County X is going to have the authority to tax the property.

If a property is split between two counties - so part of a property is located in County X and part in County Y, there is going to be two separate deeds - one recorded in County X and one in County Y. Each county will tax their respective parcel. (The property really is two separate parcels even if the owner is treating them as a single larger property).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. That is a different answer than I've received from others. I contacted both counties and was told the tax would be paid to only one county. One of them told me it would depend on the location of the master bedroom, another told me it would depend on what percentage of the property is in either county and yet another told me the location of entrance (driveway) would determine the county. The last one was the most interesting because the property maps filed show my driveway on the incorrect side. The differnece is the county I believe my property is part of has tax which is a quarter of what i am paying to the other county.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is specifically school tax which makes up abouth 75% of my yearly property tax

Okay, so you are dealing with a district tax (school tax) as opposed to a strict property tax.

They are looking at something other than the parcel itself.

Your parcel is something that should be very easy to identify - either the parcel is in the county or it is not.

What they are now trying to do is determine whether or not you owe a special district tax based on where your home (the structure or building) is located.

This is going to be a little more nuanced and probably something that I cannot give you a definitive answer to on the forum (because it deals with local tax laws that require review of the local codes which are usually not published online).

However, what I can do is help provide you with the tools to investigate this and address it yourself.

The tax code (like any other rule) must include the appropriate determining factors for taxing the properties in the rule itself (if it isn't written down, it isn't enforceable).

So going to the specific tax code that they are attempting to levy this school tax with is going to be the place to start.

Once you are there, you can identify whether the code section itself has any guidance.

If it does not, then you can work backwards - go to the code chapter (or section heading) that it is in. There will be terms and definitions that provide information that give guidance on how to interpret the sections themselves.

(For something like a school tax, I can tell you that a rough "rule of thumb" - so not a statutory rule of interpretation, just something to help simplify this particular tax - would be "if you have children living at the property, and they were enrolled in public school - if they are attending the school where the school tax is being levied - you owe the tax")