Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

August 2015, accident at home exercising, sat on exercise

Customer Question

My name is*****August 2015, accident at home exercising, sat on exercise ball, ball
rolled forward, dumping me backwards and I hit back of my neck on a
plug with large plugs. This has caused my speech to slur and under
doctor's care with no brain damage from CT and MRI. My slurred speech
has me unemployed and receiving State Disability Insurance (SDI) and a
small retirement from Boeing to help me pay my bills. Freak accident!
Neurologists told me with speech therapy for complete recovery.
Speech therapy in January at St. Joseph Medical Center. California State Northridge University is helping my speech starting in June. Can Homeowner Association foreclosure on my town home? Keep Your Home California has worked me for 18 month and I have a payment plan with Chase. The best way to reach is by email. My email address is:***@******.***
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your specific question for us regarding your situation? I mean I saw you asked about whether or not the HOA could foreclose on your home, but do you have something more than that you would like to know?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I owe $10K
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was working contact jobs and getting paid $15 per hour. I had money to pay bill, buy food and fuel for my car.
Thank you for your reply.

I understand, but legally if you owe the HOA, they can file a lien on your unit and can foreclose on your property and force you out, even though you do have a medical issue that is legitimately preventing you from paying them. Unfortunately, these HOA have a ton of power and have the right to foreclose on the property of any member who does not pay.

At this point I would consider contacting your local social service agencies and even your local community and religious groups, since many times they have programs available to bail out people who are in your type of medical situation and need assistance with dues, mortgage or bills and seek out their assistance in perhaps paying what is due to preserve your home.