Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

In state can my HOA board publishe names and addresses of

Customer Question

In Washington state can my HOA board publishe names and addresses of owners who are late on dues
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Legally yes, unless there is something in the Bylaws that states that that information is confidential and not for public dissemination. Generally a HOA does not have a fiduciary duty to the members like a doctor or attorney has with a client so the Board does not have to keep information about their accounts private. Any owner can examine the financial records under the open records laws, so an owner has no reasonable expectation that their financial obligations will be kept private unless that is part of the Bylaws.

From a strategic perspective, HOAs may publish names of delinquent owners in an attempt to shame them into paying their dues. Although it is not very professional to do so, it is not prohibited.