Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

I jointly own a home with my boyfried. I am debating a

Customer Question

I jointly own a home with my boyfried. I am debating a separation but in order to start a new life I would need the home we share to be sold to pay off the debts we acquired together. Since we jointly own the home on the deed am I entitled to half of what the home sells for? He bought the home with his money, but my good credit was needed due to his lack of credit. What precautions should I take if he does not share the same thoughts regarding the division of property?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Do you have any written agreements with the co-owner boyfriend?

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

So long as you are on the deed, the property may not be sold without your consent (and signature) and you are owed your share of the proceeds, corresponding to your percentage ownership. If you own one half then that is the share of the proceeds to which you are entitled.

If your boyfriend does not wish to share the proceeds then you can refuse to sign to release the escrow. Also, any check will be issued to both owners, unless you direct otherwise in writing. So, unless your boyfriend forges your signature he can not deposit or otherwise negotiate the check.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.