Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.

I feel that I am being discriminated against because of my

Customer Question

I feel that I am being discriminated against because of my age and my VA status 90% disabled on a fixed income, and to top it off I am 76yo 77 in June. I was pre-aproved for the loan I am attempting to get but the LOAN CO (UNION Home Mortgage) in Fairlawn Ohio keeps me running around gathering more and more and more documentation, to the point I have provided the same information over and over , closing dates have been canceled and rescheduled two or three times and the seller is about to begin charging me $150.00 a day because we have had to get soany extensions all because of the LENDER and their Mortgage consultant we have to deal with.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us regarding this matter? Do you have any evidence that this is being done only because of your age and VA status?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well they haven't given me a letter or verbally said anything to that effect, but what else could be the reason for the run around, I have given them everything they have asked for, including getting home owners Insurance on the property and it's not even mine yet, when I was getting Ins, the insurance agent informed me that the closing date was going to be the25 of May and she told me this on the 24th so I hurried policy up, needless to say we didn't close on the 25th and haven't yet today, my realtor has been calling the mortgage consultant at least a couple times a day requesting that they stop this game or what ever it is their playing and get this matter closed. Now if their ncan be another logical reason for what is going on I would sure like to know what it is.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also I had to get a Renter for my property along with a rental agreement for submission to get the loan. I don't think I mentioned it before but I am buying the property as an investment for rental.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is my belief that they think if they give me the run around long enough I'll get fed up and move, but I have too much money wraped up in this deal $5 or $6 hundred id a tidy sum in my estimation.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do I have any recourse to getting this checked into? their has to be a logical reason for what is going on and nothing I or my Realtor has tried has had any effect on the situation.
Thank you for your reply.
"What else could it be" is not sufficient for the courts. In fact these banks frequently give customers the run around and demand papers that have already been filed several times before. This is the sign of more an unscrupulous or poor quality lender than it is your age or VA status. On a rental property where you had a renter they are not so much worried about you being able to repay the loan.
So, without more evidence, you could not prove in court that your age or VA status are the only reasons for them not processing the loan. If all you have is what you said above, then that is not legally sufficient. I would suggest though that if you are having an issue with this lender like this, take your business to another lender who will treat you better, because you are describing signs of an incompetent lender.