J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

I moved from New Jersey to Florida ten years ago and left

Customer Question

I moved from New Jersey to Florida ten years ago and left some tools and belongings in my father's shed that I could not fit into the moving truck. My brother recently moved to SC taking my father with him. I finally confronted my brother on the phone today about what happened to my things that were in my father's shed and he said he had thrown it all in the garbage. I argued with him that he did not have my permission to do this. He stated that he had called me about it but he never did call me. He is a bully and a control freak. When I try to question my father about this my brother or his wife hitting buttons on the phone so that I will hang up. I did not abandon my possessions.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. A person liable for disposing of another’s personal property and an action against him may be brought seeking the value of the property. Unfortunately, this means you are going to have to sue your brother. This matter could be heard in small claims. If he considered the property abandoned he would have needed to provide you written notice of such giving you the opportunity to remove the belongings.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! Please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter. Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).